[SI-LIST] Re: Reducing SSO noise in an FPGA

  • From: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:55:20 -0700

Mr Zhangkun is quite right to suggest that for 100 Mhz no practical =
parts
are known to exist for 0.1uF and 0.22uF that have an effective =
impedance at
100 Mhz. Michael Poimboeuf is right to suggest that low inductance low =
ESR
parts make a difference. Here are a few vendors that have some better =
parts
(higher Q)

For practical parts look at=20

JDI Low Inductance Capacitors at http://www.johansondielectrics.com
AVX http://www.avxcorp.com/docs/masterpubs/lica.pdf
and Syfer Technology http://www.syfer.com/5115.htm
The last vendor states" Correspondingly, an inductance of 1200pH for =
0805
(capacitor) is reduced to around 600pH for the 0508. "

AVX has what they refer to as a LICA=AE (Low Inductance Decoupling =
Capacitor
Arrays)

Small Ceramic capacitor now available up to 15 UF now have better
performance at lower frequencies that previous units.

Steven Salkow
Lockheed Martin
3200 Zanker Rd
San Jose, CA 95134
(408) 473-4058
steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx
Fax (408) 473-3044

Design":
> Figure out the package size, which fixes the inductance,
> then use the largest capacitance you can get into that package.
>=20
> Read the book for the fine argument that Dr. Johnson makes... or =
maybe =3D
> he'll chime in here.
>=20
> One caveat is that if you really do need filtering at a specific =3D
> frequency above the self resonance of local (say Y5V) decoupling caps =
=3D
> you can use C0G/NP0 low ESR caps to filter those high frequencies. I =
=3D
> find 2700pF C0G caps give me excellent decoupling for ECL and RF =3D
> circuits.
>=20
> ---
> mkp=3D20