[SI-LIST] Reducing Reflections

  • From: <wesley_wu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:51:24 -0700

Dear Experts,

Recently we have had experiences with excessive
reflections with BGA packages. The two interfaces,
solder ball side and bump side, exhibit substantial
impedance value drops as evidenced on TDR as
capacitive dips. There are a few ways I can think of
to raise the inductance of the balls and bumps, and at
the same time lower the capacitance, e.g. smaller land
diameters, longer bumps and balls, bigger antipads,
etc. But in such tight spaces I don't know how
practical they are. Would anyone like to share
experiences in dealing with similar situations? Thanks
so much in advance.

ww

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org