[SI-LIST] Re: Recent VIrus 'postings'

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:07:12 -0800 (PST)

Dave-

Thanks for the 'heads-up' on the virus laden message you received
that seems to be masquerading as a si-list message.

At this point I'm not sure who or what is behind it (I never received
any such messages), however just a couple of comments:

1)      si-list is set to inhibit it's ability to send binary attachments
        (virus or otherwise), so if you receive a message with a
        binary attachment, it didn't come from si-list.

2)      the subscriber list for si-list is pretty secure (accessible
        only to myself and the sysops at freelists.org. Whoever is
        sending the bogus messages may have harvested some addresses from
        the message archives, but it is extremely doubtful they have
        a copy of the actual subscriber database.

Anyway, thanks for the advisory, I'll check into it from this end
and see if I can determine anything further.

-Ray
Sun Microsystems Inc.

>All,
>  Last week I returned from 2 weeks holiday to find my inbox 'full' of
>returned mail address not know, returned mail attachment not allowed or
>attachment contains virus (sample.exe)
>The virus concerned was the nimda virus
>All these purported to be sent by me on 29 or 30 October.
>As I was on holiday from the 26 October and my company PC switched off
>it was obvious that they had not been sent by me. Also the attachment
>(sample.exe) does not exist on my PC.
>  Our company mail server logs also have no record of any messages sent
>by me over the two week period.
>
>All the various subject lines used did not have the normal (SI-LIST)
>added, however looking at the names on these returned they all seem to
>be SI-LIST members, hence my posting this email to the list.
>
>An examination of the headers of those returns I received, and the of
>the one I received from 'myself'!, showed that they had been doctored as
>below:

... details deleted....

List archives are viewable at: