[SI-LIST] Re: Re : maybe something wrong in ebd defination?

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cat_carl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:27:14 -0700

Hello Cat:

You raise a good question.  The order of LRC for a discrete
section within an EBD (or package model) is not properly
documented.  However, the IBIS committee intended to keep the
same ordering convention as for the original single stage package
model composed of discrete Lpkg, Rpkg and Cpkg elements.

For single stage package models, the series element(s) are
positioned next to the die capacitance: C_comp, and the
elements are ordered to work outward to the pin interface.  Multiple
section package models "... start at the connection to the die ...".
Each secton must follow the same LRC ordering convention as the
single package model section (for consistency and in case only
one section is needed).  The EBD syntax is similar and follows
the same ordering convention since nothing contrary is stated.

Your second example provides the correct order interpretation.
The series element L starts at Node A and the stage ends at
Node B:

> Node A
> Len=0 L=2 C=1 /
> Node B

>    B <-------|------------@@@@@------------>A
>              |              L
>            =====C
>             ---

Sometimes EBDs are used in place of package models.  However,
directly encoding a discrete package model stage as an EBD stage
formats it in the incorrect order because EBDs typically start
with the external pin and work inward.  For example, if Pin 1 is the
external pin, and Node U25.1 is the die pin 1, the syntax below
attaches the C in parallel with the die node pin 1 and in parallel
with C_comp.

Not correct:

Pin 1
Len=0 L=2 C=1 /
Node U25.1

The correct representation of a single section discrete IBIS
package model takes two sections in an EBD:

Pin 1
Len=0 C=1 / Len=0 L=2 /
Node U25.1

As previously mentioned, some EDA tools may look at time constants,
and just treat small time-constant, discrete elements as distributed
(or possibly recast them internally into symmetrical elements) -
thereby avoiding the ordering issue.

to a global ground.

Bob

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC     Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List archives are viewable at: