[SI-LIST] Re: ??: Re: How to use Intel's model?

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 13:25:43 -0700

Abe,

As Arpad mentioned there are different procedures used in different
groups. The
methodologies very between CPU, North Bridge and South Bridge teams. As
far as=20
whether models are fully pin mapped or mapped by signal or functional
group is
something that is evolving within each team. I can only speak for the
models I create
for the mobile segment MCH northbridges. All the models are validated
internally
and as far as I know all differential pairs should be identified within
the model.
As a model generator I try to make sure all differential pairs are
called out with
[Diff Pin] statements.=20

As far as validation goes, there are several stages of validation.
We first simulate the models into the test load in one or more
simulation tools
and then overlay the output waveforms over the waveforms generated into
the same
load with our internal process specific transistor level models. Once we
establish
correlation with the test load we then use the models internally for SI
and timing
verification. The next step involves simulating the models in actual
platform level
topologies and correlating the waveforms to lab measurments on the same
platform
configurations. We do this for both fast and slow silicon using skewed
test
silicon in the lab. Lastly, some but not all groups will capture V-I
curve trace
data on skewed silicon on the test floor and correlate to IBIS model V-I
curve data,
but this approach is being phased out in most cases.=20

Our internal teams prefer to use models which have the buffers mapped as
functional=20
buffer types, such as CLK, CTRL, DATA, etc.., rather than by pin. In
performing
interface level worst case verification simulations one is generally
concerned
with identifying models by function or signal group, as opposed to by
pin.=20
Throwing around a 400-500 pin pin mapped IBIS model can be a little
clunky when
your trying to simulate for worst case CTRL to CLK setup time of the
DDR2 interface.
So internally we use interface specific signal group mapped models. In
these
cases you generally want to instantiate a model by its function rather
than its
pin number.  Pin mapped models would seem more appropriate for board
level=20
simulations, geared more for functional verification than worst case SI
and timing.=20
At least that's my personal bias.  I'm sure there are those who feel
otherwise.
We generally offer fully pin mapped models by special request.  Since we
use=20
the signal group mapped models internally, it just seems more
appropriate to
offer these exact models to our customers. So we bundle them up along
with
the pkg models and release them as a bundle, rather than releasing a
single
large pin mapped IBIS with everything integrated inside. =20

The southbridge team is still using the legacy pin mapped approach,
which does
make us a bit inconsistent. This is one reason we also provide pin
mapped northbridge
models on request. I apologize for the resulting confusion. Each group
is trying to
do what they see as the best approach to meet their customer needs. Hope
this
helps a little. Thank you for your patience while we work to develop a
unified
model format.=20

By the way I'm always curious to hear from model users in this area, as
to why=20
one approach or the other is preferred. Your feedback would be welcome.

Brian P. Moran
Senior SIE Engineer =20
Intel Corporation=20
brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx=20