[SI-LIST] Re: Radiating Ceramic Bulk Capacitors

  • From: "Paradis, Daniel" <Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Istvan Novak - Board Design Technology' <inovak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:07:16 -0400

Istvan

This is a good suggestion.

Did you ever tested the impedance of a board over a wide range of frequency
to get the curves?
We did it here for individual caps but never for a board.
I would imagine a scenario where the impedance is measured in several
different points
in a check board configuration following the cap network.

It would be interesting to take the measurements with only caps placed and
nothing else
to compare with the theoretical models of network caps provided by Laplace
transform templates (Excell or MathCad)

Another case would be with the regular board with all the parts.
I wonder how different it could be from the simplified "only cap" model.

        From: "Paradis, Daniel" <Daniel.Paradis@xxxxxxxxxx>
        To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: [SI-LIST] Radiating Ceramic Bulk Capacitors
        Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:45:45 -0400

        To all EMC experts.

        I have been experimenting a little with bulk capacitors recently.
        And I would like to get your opinion on the following subject.

        I got 2 different boards with about nine 10uF bulk ceramic capacitor
(1206
        packages)
        distributed evenly in a matrix configuration in the digital section
of the
        design.
        I took the EMI signature of the 2 different designs and I saw the
following.

        One of the board showed a significant reduction in emission with all
the
        bulks in place.
        The other board showed the exact opposite; The radiation level was
much
        lower when the bulk were removed.

        I took 3 different measurements for each board/scenarios and compare
the
        average values.

        I remember having read a document from Dr. Johnson saying that
capacitors
        can sometimes be a very effective EMI radiator.
        I am assuming that common mode noise can sometimes get trough the
bulk to
        migrate from one power plane to another.
        Since the impedance of bulk capacitors is quite high at EMI
frequencies,
        a drop of voltage caused by this common mode noise can occur and
produce
        more radiation.

        My preliminary conclusion is that bulk capacitors cannot be placed
arbitrary
        in a matrix configuration.
        They should be placed away from high frequency current paths.
        Also I was thinking that since bulk capacitors (and decoupling or
bypass
        caps) can act as radiators...
        they should always be placed at the bottom of the board to use the
chassis
        as a Faraday cage.

        Any thoughts you want to share on the subject?

        Thanks

        Daniel Paradis
        Staff Electrical Engineer
        Digital Subscriber Networks

        Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.
        5030 Sugarloaf Parkway, ATL 1.3468
        Lawrenceville, GA 30042
        Tel: (770) 236-7896
        Fax: (770) 236-2449

             - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - -
- -
        This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is
confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is
solely intended for the
named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the
addressee). If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or
disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your
computer.

field

        List archives are viewable at:

Istvan Novak            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx    Workgroup Servers, BDT Group,
                        One Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
                        Phone: (781) 442 0340

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is
solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering
it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message
or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.

List archives are viewable at: