[SI-LIST] R-T-F-M Re: Language conventions

  • From: "Feldman, Richard" <rfeldman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:31:26 -0800

Uh, many responders are confusing a rule for unit SYMBOLS
with one for unit NAMES!
Chris Peake and Jim Knighten got it right here,=20
and cited appropriate references for use in English.
Just remember to Google for something like "unit symbol rules".

"Unit names, when spelled out, are treated like ordinary English nouns.
Thus [they all] start with a lower-case letter, except at the beginning=20
of a sentence or in capitalized material such as a title."
[The same goes for multipliers such as milli and mega.]

Unit symbols begin with a capital letter if the associated unit
name is derived from a persons name.  s for second, S for siemens,
pA for pascal.  Exception: L for liter (in the USA).

There are case conventions in _algebraic_ symbols used to represent
AC and DC variables.  e.g. i and I for current, measured in amperes;
v and V (and formerly e and E) for voltage, coincidently measured=20
in volts.  We have rude metaphors for people who can't tell
units of measurement from terms in formulas.

Respectfully submitted,
Rich Feldman

p.s. to those who laugh at "mebibyte", isn't this like the=20
early days of nanosecond replacing millimicrosecond,
or megahertz replacing megacycles?

 > | Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:06:27 -0800
 > | To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > | From: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
 > | Subject: [SI-LIST] Language conventions
 > |=20
 > |=20
 > | Hi all,
 > |=20
 > | I need some help in settling a misunderstanding among some people.  =
It=20
 > | involves when to capitalize and not capitalize Volt, Amp, and Watt, =
etc.
 > |=20
 > | In the following uses, is it proper to capitalize the letters as=20
 > | shown:  The voltage is one Volt, which we can also write as 1 V. =
The=20
 > | current is 10 Amps, but other places it is only 5 mA. The =
definition of one=20
 > | Amp is the flow of..........  The power generated is 5 Watts. But I =
only=20
 > | have a 2-Watt power supply.
 > |=20
 > | When do we capitalize and when don't we?
 > |=20
 > | Doug Brooks

List archives are viewable at: