[SI-LIST] Re: ROOKIE: Anti-Pad Size Effect On Signal Integrity: By the formula, as F goes up, Xc goes down (was up by typo)

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:42:56 -0500

Steven
Unfortunately, both the the paper and Dr Johnson's work are accurate
only in the quasi-static domain. Our work on launches has shown that
quasi-static analysis and models for vias are not very useful, except as
a first order approximation.  By using full-wave techniques, we can push
via cutoff frequencies up to 40 GHz.

We have a few slides on our website under publications that discuss
high-performance via and launch issues.

*Evaluation of a Single Via in the Frequency Domain
**Hybrid Solver and Measurement Based Design
**Electrically Transparent 50 Gbps Board-to-Board Interconnect

best regards,

Scott

*

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

Salkow, Steven wrote:
> These links will help
>

> characterization_of_a_printed_circuit_board_via
>

> http://www.coe.montana.edu/ee/lameres/vitae/publications/1_thesis/thesis
> _002_msee.pdf
>

> Dr. Johnson constructs a working large scale model of a via, large
> enough so the he can reach into the board and modify the structure from
> within while observing, in real-time, the electrical behavior of the
> via.
>
> http://www.sigcon.com/SiLab/Via_clip.wmv
>

> 3D field solvers versus Network Analyzer and real models
>
> Many of you are already using coupons to assess the quality of your
> boards. For those they are not familiar, Test coupons are typically
> small sections around the periphery of a board with exactly the same
> layers stackup as the main PCB that are fabricated at the same time as
> the PCB. Coupons are or may be used to test a number of PCB features
> that determine impedance, design integrity, etc.
>

> The opportunity exists to assess via-model-designs at practically no
> cost to the project other than the via design time and lab assessment to
> characterize the results:
>
> I envision a series of coupon with the various vias and anti-pads as
> well as guard grounds place so these may be connectorized with surface
> mount sma or sna connectors compatible with your Network analyzer. This
> will allow an engineer to extract an S parameter model from each
> physical module which may be useful for further simulation. (Most high
> speed circuit simulators will be able to use S parameter model in
> simulations.)  This may seem, on the face of it, an expensive approach.
> In reality, it is cheaper and quicker than 3D field solving but DOES NOT
> produce an exact solution.
>

> Understand this:
>
> The optimum via design is rarely the one used as board space is not
> available to contain all the signals and all the grounds in the same
> area. As density of vias go up, the ground planes are literally carved
> away near the BGAs where circuit density is the highest. What also goes
> away is exact prediction of circuit behavior without exact 3D modeling
> which is time intensive and uses expensive software tools.
>

> Steven Salkow
>
> Lockheed IS&S
>
> 3130 Zanker Rd, San Jose
>
> Ca. 94588