[SI-LIST] Re: RGMII to SGMII conversion

  • From: "Ravi Kiran" <kiranr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sankar K" <Sankar.Karuppannan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:51:16 +0530

Hi Sankar.K,

I assume you are not able to TX and RX packets on Line side. And you are doing
HW board bring up.

1) If you are able to see the link and blink of TX/RX LED it means the PHY is
working fine on Ethernet line side (differential signal). The PHY LED would
still glow if (a) There is no MAC(uP, Switch) (b) PHY is not configured. So
Link is not the only parameter to see.

I would trey the following.

2) Is the MDC/MDIO interface working fine ? If not I will make the control path
up first. Before doing to data path.

3) Generally PHY such as this will have Loop back on Ethernet line side and
RGMII/SGMII interface side. You can try enabling those things.

4) MAC section in switch/CPU will generally have receive/transmit frame
coulters. Plz check the counters if there are incrementing.

5) I suggest one needs to take the dump of PHY and Switch on serail port to
debug such problem. Because one really dont know what is configured in them (I
think you might be having more than 3K registers). May bugs are solved taking
the help of dump.

6) In 88E1145 plz check if you really can configure each MAC interface
individually to RGMII and SGMII. You might have done this but just a thought.

7) Also see until which block in the Switch/PHY the data is going.

8) One check the pull up and pull down that are connected to transformer.

I think we need more information on this. Plz let me know if you have already
solved this bug.

Regards,
Ravi Kiran
http://www.linkedin.com/in/adusumilli123

>>> Sankar K <Sankar.Karuppannan@xxxxxxxxxxx> 9/13/2009 12:53 PM >>>
Hi All,
We are using 88E1145 Marvell PHY in our project. PHY RGMII port to CPU and
SGMII port is connected to Switch.
We are able to see the linkup and not able to transfer the data packet. Please
any one help on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Sankar.K

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Aricent and is intended solely for
the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for any purpose
other than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in
error,please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. Aricent accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus."

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

List technical documents are available at: