[SI-LIST] Re: RF cable standards

  • From: jeff_latourrette@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cvdbabu@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:33:21 -0600

Diyanesh:

RG designations are JAN  (the AN refers to (US) Army Navy, and they refer back
to MIL-HDBK-216 and MIL-C-17).  They are  analagous to RG-XXX (or EIA's WR-XXX)
sizes for waveguides.  I'm not sure how numbering works (on Waveguides, it's
based on dimensions).

I couldn't find RG-174 in my old reference (Reference Data for Radio
Engineers),

but here is description of RG-178B/U:

High Temperature, Single Braid
Inner Conductor  7 X 0.004" silvered copper-covered steel
Dielectric Material  Teflon
Nominal Diameter of Dielectric  0.034"
Shielding Braid  Silvered Copper
Protective Covering  Fluorinated ethylene propylene
Nominal Overall Diameter 0.075" max.
Nominal Capacitance  29.0 pF/ft
Maximum Operating Voltage  1000 Vrms
Z=50 ohms

On web I found for one brand:

RG-174 is also 50 ohms
0.018" inner conductor  (7 X 0.0063")
0.060" dielectric (Teflon)
0.084" shield braid
0.11"  overall diameter
30.8 pF/ft

Looks like they should be fairly similar, but different dimensions which may be
important in terminating them with connectors.  Looks like they are both rated
to 3 GHz and from what I could see, similar in losses.

You'd do best to go to your cable vendors and compare spec's side-by-side, as
I'm not sure these numbers are representative of all cable vendors, but I'm
sure the dimensions are dictated by the MIL documents.