[SI-LIST] Re: RF Layout - Via spacing

  • From: "Brad Brim" <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'arvind yadav'" <arvind.yad1983@xxxxxxxxx>, <wolfgang.maichen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:41:45 -0700

hi Arvind,

We too often forget there is *NO* such thing as "ground traces" or a "GND
track". Rather you have two traces that just happen to have a via to ground
placed periodically along their length. This view of your geometry enables a
more intuitive argument for via spacing. If you allow the spacing to become
a half wavelength then you will see a very large resonance so you know it
should be much less than 1/2 wavelength. You need to make the via spacing
"close", which is a subjective term. You could treat these traces as signal
traces (e.g. microstrip coupled lines) and do a circuit or EM simulation to
see the effect of different via spacing. The classical microwave
rule-of-thumb is to use 1/10 to 1/20 wavelength for such via spacing.

In some microwave applications you are trying to emulate a solid metal wall
with this "fence" of vias. In that case the more tightly you space them the
less leakage you will see through the fence. In that case, 1/20 wavelength
is going to yield a better shield than 1/10. However, keep in mind that even
if you space them 1/100 wavelength you will still have energy leak over the
top of these periodically grounded shield traces - i.e. you can beat a dead
horse.

Rules of thumb exist for lateral spacing of the so-called ground traces and
are typically 3X to 5X the maximum of substrate height or line width. These
are based on how much the impedance of the line would be perturbed if you
put a metal wall at the same location as the ground trace. 3X is okay if you
can handle a few ohms difference, 5X probably won't perturb much at all.

cheers,
 -Brad

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net