[SI-LIST] R: Re: R: LVDS Transmission Problem

  • From: "Guasti Giovanni" <Giovanni.Guasti@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:13:23 +0200

Hi Hassan,
I did a very simple calculation, maybe I'm wrong: an LVDS differential =
swing at the driver is about 800mV and 150m of cat5 cable is about =
20-30dB of losses @30-100MHz. So at the receiver we'll have ABOUT =
80-24mV of swing, that is under or near the threshold (100mV). Are you =
confident about using an LVDS with 150m of cable?
In the National (DS90LV032ATM & DS90LV031ATM) appl. note 971 there is =
also a picture of the signal after 10 m of cable @ 155Mb/s. Signal is =
quite good, but rise and fall time increase a lot.
Anyway the worst contribute to the signal in this particular case is =
given  by connectors, flexes and the backplane.
That's why I think that the LVDS is not the FIRST choice. I think that =
the noise margin could be reduced too much.
Best regards,
    Giovanni