[SI-LIST] Re: R: Re: Question on varying the coupling ratio on a differential pair

  • From: "George Dudnikov" <George.Dudnikov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Dorin.Oprea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:38:55 -0800

Scott, Lee, Dorin and others interested in Dk discussion,
  I have been following this thread on Dk measurement with interest and
wanted to add some input from a PCB fabrication standpoint. All of your
points and concerns are valid. Please consider the following:
1. No two laminate material manufacturers  measure or report electrical
properties Dk or Df the same way. Some use Beraskin some use Split Post
Cavity, others Full Sheet Resonance  etc. In many cases, laminators
prefer to use methods which make the electricals for their materials
look better. No big surprise. Or they stick with methods that they are
accustomed to.
2. When they do measure, it's usually done on a specific core thickness
and at several, usually lower discrete frequencies. Higher frequency
data is usually extrapolated. Again, samples are picked to make the
electricals look good.  Along with concerns regarding resin/glass ratio
and  pre-preg Dk effects, there are other variables that haven't been
mentioned.. like copper foil roughness, glass weave etc.

The reality of life is that laminate vendor Dk data in most cases is
only useful for rough calculations or benchmarking comparisons. Any
serious modeling or simulation , specifically at higher frequencies ,
requires empirically validated test data representative of the specific
resin and stackup being evaluated.

Here at SSCI, we were forced years ago to measure laminate properties
ourselves,in order to obtain data we could reliably use in our impedance
models and SI simulations which would then correlate with actual VNA and
TDR measurements once we built the PCB. We adopted a method we call
Modified Full Sheet Resonance . There is a DesignCon 2003 presentation
on our website co-authored with Istvan Novak at Sun which discusses some
of the early work utilizing this method. Try this link to access
http://www.sanmina-sci.com/Solutions/pdfs/pcbres/SANM_Resonance_Test.pdf

We found this method effective up to about 4GHZ. We have migrated
towards developing microstrip and stripline based test structures for
extracting Dk/Df up to 20 GHz using a high frequency VNA. Although we
prefer frequency domain analysis, we have also benchmarked high speed
time domain methods such as those published by Alina Deutsch et al at
IBM and feel both domains have merit. We now have a pretty comprehensive
data base on all the leading materials from FR-4 to the low Dk/Df
materials which allows us to accurately select and substitute different
materials and stackups.
Bottom line...you have to measure. My SI folks will be at DesignCon if
anyone wants to compare notes.

Regards
George Dudnikov
Sr.VP & CTO