[SI-LIST] Re: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals

  • From: Vinu Arumugham <vinu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:49:08 -0700

Steve,

"That's all fine and well but does nothing for SSO as seen by the transmitter
die, or the noise
injected into the cavity."

v(Vddq,Vssq) is the transmitter die noise (SSN) and it is only a few mVpp  with
SRS and much larger with Vss-only reference. v(Vddq,Vssq) is also the noise
injected into the cavity ( a few mVpp). One can observe the other end of the
cavity v(termVdqq,termVssq) and also observe only a few mVpp with SRS.

For a Vss-only referenced transmission line, a Thevenin termination would
require a low impedance PDN to work. In SRS you may have noted that there is no
low impedance PDN between termVddq and termVssq. Do you have a topology in mind
that uses Thevenin termination alone without SRS and can achieve constant
current draw from the PDN? You could post a modification to the spice deck if
that helps avoid any misunderstanding.

Thanks,
Vinu

List forum  is accessible at: