[SI-LIST] Re: Questions on Reference Planes for DDR3 signals

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 18:42:34 -0700

On 7/5/2012 4:23 PM, Vinu Arumugham wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Let's leave out the component/PCB interface for now and consider a
> simple 3-conductor flat ribbon cable for the transmission line
> connecting the TX to the terminations. The center conductor is the
> signal, Vdd and Vss one on each side of the signal. Signal/Vss and
> Signal/Vdd each having a characteristic impedance of 100 ohm.
>
> Do you agree that the above transmission line when used in the SRS
> configuration I described will result only in DC draw from the supply?
No, I do not.

> I am not sure what you mean by  continuous transmission line signaling
> system but the properties you describe seem to apply to what I described
> as SRS.
This has been expressed different ways over the past 25 years.  There
was a Design Con 2012 paper that dealt with this old idea that some
think is new again.
> If we define SSN as noise caused when multiple buffers/terminations
> share a common PDN impedance, SRS will avoid this noise.
Again, I disagree for the reasons I have stated:  When the AC signal
current transitioning an interface is non-zero, then the return current
through the common impedance of that interface is also non-zero, and by
definition the result is SSN.

> If we now compare the practical implementation of conventional signaling
> and SRS, the question becomes how much of the margin we gained from the
> lack of SSN do we have to give up. The answer will determine if SRS is
> useful in practice.
Again, if we look at the five rings of EMC hell, we find that using
multiple transmission lines in parallel, each coupling to planes on
independent DC rails and therefore coupled through capacitors will never
be better than using single transmission lines that reference a single
rail, and will usually be much worse.
> In conventional signaling we try to keep a constant signal/Vss impedance
> end-to-end. In SRS we have do that for Signal/Vss and Signal/Vdd.
Yes, but as I have attempted to explain, all that does for you in the
best case is divide the common impedance that the SSN forms across in
half.  In practice, depending on the distribution of impedance in each
rail, it can make it much worse than alternatives.
> Thanks,
> Vinu
>

> On 07/02/2012 06:28 PM, steve weir wrote:
>> Vinu, the problem is this:  At the boundary of the component to the PCB,
>> the signal forms two transmission lines that each carry the same
>> polarity transitions with respect to each of the image planes.  That
>> transition carries through the shared impedance of each of the
>> respective rails between the package and the PCB.  Voltage developed
>> across those shared impedances is the stuff that SSO is made of.
>>
>> I think that you have confused this configuration with the notion of a
>> continuous transmission line signaling system.  In a continuous
>> transmission line signaling system the DC current is constant and
>> hypothetically, the AC current approaches zero.  An ideal differential
>> signaling system has that behavior.  In such a system, signaling is done
>> by changing the current distribution between lines, but not the total
>> current.  If the lines are all close together then the approximation to
>> the ideal can be pretty good.  But that is a very different beast than
>> what I believe you have been describing.
>>
>> If we want to approach zero AC current in the power distribution
>> interconnect, then the even mode signal current must approach zero.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>

>> Steve.
>> On 7/2/2012 5:05 PM, Vinu Arumugham wrote:
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> May be we should temporarily set aside practical considerations. If you
>>> had an SRS configuration with three wires, Vddq/signal/Vss, do you agree
>>> that it will steer current and only draw DC from the supply? In contrast
>>> any other configuration would draw pulsed current from the supply.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Vinu

>>> //www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>>>
>>> For help:
>>>

>>> List forum  is accessible at:
>>>
>>> List archives are viewable at:
>>>             //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list

>>>                     http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

> List forum  is accessible at:
>
> List archives are viewable at:

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
150 N. Center St. #211
Reno, NV  89501
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2012 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: