[SI-LIST] Re: Question regarding thermal layers

  • From: Dennis Tomlinson <det_werks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:28:02 -0700 (PDT)

> > The thermal layers are DC isolated from circuit ground.
> Why?

This is an existing system.

>> Why not connect them to ground (or power) and let them do useful electrical

>>  work too?
The thermal layers connect to the chassis - both thermally, and electrically. If

I use the stackup I'm proposing, I'll optimize thermal conductivity, but
microstrip

signals will tend to use these layers as a return. The thermals should be
tightly coupled to

GROUND at the higher frequencies, but at lower freqs I suspect I'll need
several

stragegically placed capacitors to help complete the loop.

If I bury the thermal layers deep within the stackup, say dead center, and
surround

them with GROUND/POWER layers, I can keep return currents off of them.

Thermal performance, however, will go to hell in a handbasket. I can partially
fix this

with thermal vias placed underneath most critical parts, but I give up
cherished routing

channels. These disadvantages will undoubtedly cost me two or four additional
layers. I'm already a bit over the height limit, so....

Any thoughts?

Dennis

Hal Murray <hmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> The thermal layers are DC isolated
from circuit ground.

Why?

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited

List archives are viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: