[SI-LIST] Re: Question regarding current loop

  • From: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:10:28 -0700

Scott,
That is the best and clearest description on this topic I have ever read.

I have no problem with it whatsoever if we are sending a pulse ( a 0-1-0
signal) down the trace whose pulse width is narrow compared to the
propagation time down the trace. And I think I buy it if we are sending a
step function down the trace.

Would you expand, though, on the specific case where we send a
repetitive  0-1-0-1.....  (AC) signal down the (properly terminated)  trace
whose half-period is significantly longer than the propagation time down
the trace. This (1) is an AC signal, but (2) there are periods of time when
there is no field still propagating (i.e. it has already propagated to the
end of the trace and been absorbed at the end.)  It is not clear to me that
your explanation covers that case. (Or if it does, I didn't get it.)

Doug

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org