[SI-LIST] Re: Question on Impedance Control

  • From: "Bill Beale" <beale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pat_Diao@xxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:04:39 -0800

Hi Pat,

In your choices, you're making a large assumption, which is: 50 ohm =
impedance is desired up to the die.  I've worked on chips which =
'like/want' slightly more inductance before the die to offset the =
capacitance of the pad and gate of the high speed receiver.  Hence, the =
answer to your question is dependent on your application.

Without knowing the application, I would vote for #1, and determine my =
bondwire configuration after I know more about the impedance looking =
into my die.

Thank you,
Bill

> I think enough has been discussed about using a 2D solver to=20
> determine the
> trace W/S and di-e thickness to achieve the desired impedance=20
> - single-ended
> or differencial.
>=20
> However, in a real package other than flipchip/CSP, bond=20
> wires are needed
> for the die to traces connection.  As such, no matter how well it is
> controlled on the traces, the presence of bond wire will=20
> always throw the
> impedance off (usually higher).
>=20
> So here are the questions about how this is handled in practice:
>=20
> 1. Design the traces to the targeted 50 or 100 ohm and ignore=20
> the effect of
> wires, hoping for the best?
> 2. Pre-lower the trace impedance in design in anticipating=20
> the effect of
> wire?
> 3. Use 3D simulation on the designed wire + trace struction=20
> to calculate the
> actual impedance?
>=20
> Feedback appreciated.