[SI-LIST] Re: Question on Differential S parameters

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 14:39:04 -0700

Charles, the Agilent VNA's perform a set of single-ended S Parameter
measurements and then perform matrix transformations to derive the
mixed-mode values algebraically.  BTW, you will make your life a bit
easier if in your test set-ups you adopt Agilent's default port
convention of:

P1 <=> P2
P3 <=> P4

Best Regards,

Steve.
On 4/4/2011 1:20 PM, Grasso, Charles wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a question on how the SDD and SCD series of measurements are made.
> Never having actually
> performed  these measurements I did a bit of reading and am unclear on the
> process. What I understand is
> (at least from one manufacturer of test equipment) that the 4 x 4
> single-ended S-parameters (S11 to S44)
> are  measured. A built-in function then converts them to the mixed mode
> S-parameters.
>
> My question: For SDD11 are the trace pairs driven with a differential signal
> (in the software?).
> By the same token for the SDC measurements are the traces driven with a
> common signal?
>
> Thanks!
> Best Regards
> Charles Grasso