[SI-LIST] Re: Question on 2D field solver

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx'" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:25:51 -0800

Ray,
Boundary element method solves the charge density with the green's function
pivot against the voltage boundary conduction. The common BEM discretization
assume a constant charge density per filament. The problem is the Green
function is an integral like 1/(r-r') so when filaments are getting close,
the average integral value is always under estimate, when you pivot the
matrix to solve for charge density, you get an over estimate of the average
charge density of the filament resulting in larger capacitance matrix than
real value. The impedance is just solve by generating L matrix by inverting
the over estimated C matrix against propagation matrix (assumig a
homogeneous media). The end result is a double under estimation of
impedance.
Back in grad school days I tried using an adaptive rediscretize scheme to
refine the grid near high charge density area (sharp edges, corners,
conductor placing too close to each other etc) and I believe if the
discretization is based on a log scale grid instead of linear grid the
results will be closer to close form solutions. But I don't know if there is
any commerical venodr out there using the non-linear scheme.
HTH