[SI-LIST] Question about the usage of package model(.pkg) in IBIS and the [Package] parameter

  • From: Seshadri Venkataramanan <jayanth.neo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:51:36 -0700

Hello all,

I have the following question regarding the usage of package models
and the presence of Package parameters ( R_pkg, L_pkg and C_pkg).

I understand that if there is no package model available for a
particular IBIS Model but I have the per pin package parasitic
information, I can use the [Package] parameter to define the min,max
and typ  R_pkg, L_pkg and C_pkg values by taking the min, max, typ
values from the per pin parasitic info.
and use the [Pin] keyword to define the individual pin's parasitic information.

But, if I have a package model that includes a sparse matrix for
Inductance, Capacitance and Resistance separately, I use the  [Define
Package Model] to copy the .pkg file into my IBIS and use [Package
Model] keyword to call the package in my IBIS Model.

The question here is the [Package] keyword is mandatory and I don't
think I can just take the min, max and typ values from the sparse
matrix to fill the R_pkg, L_pkg and C_pkg values. What can be done in
this case. How do I get the  [Package]  parameters for a package
model?
I understand we don't have to define per pin parasitics in the [Pin]
keyword. But I am worried about the values for R_pkg, L_pkg and C_pkg
when using a package model for my IBIS file.

I would also like to know if the package model developers can provide
the R_pkg, L_pkg and C_pkg values to me.

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Seshadri Venkataramanan

Graduate Student
MS - Electrical Engineering
 ( Mixed Signal Circuit Design) / Student Design Intern.
Arizona State University/ NXP Semiconductors.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: