[SI-LIST] Re: Question about split gnd planes

  • From: "Manickavelu M." <manickavelu_m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ed Troy" <etroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 10:20:05 +0530

Istan,
Is it not that the analog and digital grounds planes can not be connected
together anywhere but only under the chip that sources the analog signals?
Also that while coupling these two planes we should not use direct Cu plane
connection but couple them via inductors?

Manix,
MindTree.

From: Ed Troy <etroy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu May 25 15:38:33 CDT 2006
To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SI-LIST] Question about split gnd planes

If you have a circuit board that requires a split gnd  plane over a
small section of the board, and you have several ground planes,
should only one have the split (the one nearest the side containing
the components that require analog ground)  while the rest of the
ground planes are continuous, or should the split section be on all
ground layers? I would think that you should only have it on one
layer. Also, if it should only be on one layer, I would imagine it
would be best to connect it to the digital ground with one, and only
one, via. Is that generally correct? What are some good references
for layer stackups, etc? I know I saw one, once, but can't remember where.

Ed

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at:

-- File: disclaimer.txt

Disclaimer

"This message(including attachment if any)is confidential and may be
privileged.Before opening attachments please check them
for viruses and defects.MindTree Consulting Private Limited (MindTree)will not
be responsible for any viruses or defects or
any forwarded attachments emanating either from within MindTree or outside.If
you have received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return
e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or
dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be
liable for any improper, untimely or incomplete transmission."

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: