[SI-LIST] Re: Quasi Static Assumptions

  • From: Geoff Stokes <gstokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:40:59 +0100

Hi

I am grateful for Hassan's description, in particular the comment about a
quasi-static model where the fields are strictly TEM in the y-z plane (no
longitudinal x-component).  In microstrip, unfortunately the wave is
quasi-TEM and other modes are generated, so on a PCB this can lead to
problems in sensitive applications - it's better to avoid long tracks, or
sandwich them between power/ground planes.  However maybe Hassan is right
that, for the low GHz range (including significant harmonics) in a lot of
cases a quasi-static analysis/simulation is enough.

Hassan is also right about the comment only being a guide.  I have found
that sometimes a specific problem may require unusual accuracy for the
frequency range.  For example, high isolation may be required.  Then the
low-level propagation of higher wave modes requires a better model.  That
model is extracted from full-wave analysis or a series of difficult
measurements.

Another reason why the quasi-static approach breaks down is that the
waveguide has discontinuities, such as various transitions - between chip
and PCB, between layers of the PCB, connectors, etc.  At these
discontinuities, new wave modes are generated and may cause unexpected
reflections and couplings.

Another point is that because of the presence of several wave modes, the
fullwave analysis may include coupling paths via significantly retarded
(radiated) fields, which need evaluation relative to the required accuracy.
The question of how to deal with the fullwave simulator output remains a
difficulty depending on the application.  So far I have had moderate success
with trials involving EM analysis especially CST Microwave Studio.

Geoff

Zetex Semiconductors - Solutions for an analog world

http://www.zetex.com

E-MAILS are susceptible to interference.  You should not assume that
the contents originated from the sender or the Zetex Group or that they
have been accurately reproduced from their original form.
Zetex accepts no responsibility for information, errors or omissions in
this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act committed or
omitted in connection with this communication.
If in doubt, please verify the authenticity with the sender.

List archives are viewable at: