[SI-LIST] Re: QDR <=> Processor interface

  • From: Knut Georg Wiljugrein <kwiljugrein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: igazula@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:43:17 +0200

Hi Indira,
I've recently made a QDR-II Interface for a FPGA, and one thing you
might have to consider is that although the interface is source
synchronous, the CPU will have to re-sample the source synchrounous
read-data back into its internal clock domain.
The phase relationship between the returning clock from the QDR-II RAM
and the internal processor clock is given by the round trip delay from
the processor to the qdr-ii back to the processor. The reason for
specifying the maximum length may be to limit this round trip delay in
order to bound the phase difference.

If any phase relationship (i.e. any trace length) is allowed the there
is no way to guarantee setup and hold times for the re-sampling of
read-data from the source synchronous clock domain into the internal
clock domain, and the CPU would have to implement full clock domain
transition logic (asynch FIFO etc.) to receive read-data without
meta-stability problems. With a bounded phase difference, setup and hold
times can be guaranteed, and the data is simply re-sampled in a simple
flip-flop without getting meta-stability problems.

You should probably check the CPU data sheet for any timing constraints
between the returned QDR-II read clock with regards to the internal
clock or QDR-II output clock and see if this may give sense to the
3000mil length limitation.

Best Regards,
Knut Georg Wiljugrein

--------------------------------------