[SI-LIST] Re: PureMode VNA vs 4port VNA

  • From: "Zabinski, Patrick J." <zabinski.patrick@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:43:19 -0500

Jeff,

You're correct in that if you're going to attempt to
measure S-parameters of a non-linear device, you need
to provide the device with a constant power/voltage
level.

Most VNAs have options where you can
use directional couplers and power meters to
create a feedback loop to ensure a constant power
level to the device.  I have not tried this with
our balun configuration, but I expect it is
possible in a pure-mode VNA as well.

One other alternative is to reduce the output power
down low enough that you're working in the "mostly linear"
region of the device.  In general (not the case for mixers),
once the power is low enough, the non-linearities are
not quite as noticable.

Regards,
Pat

List FAQ wiki page is located at: