[SI-LIST] Re: Proper use of the Si-List

  • From: "Michael E. Vrbanac" <vrbanacm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si_monkey2@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:05:37 -0500

Sitar,
re:  "But, item 2. discourages controversial questions/points. I hope
this is your personal
opinion only and not reflect list opinion. My personal opinion is
controversy (discussion of
differing viewpoints) promotes new ideas or at least fix misconceptions. "

Sorry, try again.  #2 still stands.  Your apology says it was right.
Why would you have apologized
for your opinion? Its because you were engaging in controversy.  Had you
been actually discussing a
viewpoint, an apology would not have been necessary. Who would have
faulted you of your opinion?
So you even know the difference. What might have started as a discussion
became controversy and
something you felt needed an apology, and perhaps rightly so and thus a
commendable act.  That's
what #2 was all about.  If you would have followed it, you probably
wouldn't have had to apologize
and the outcome would have been entirely different.  Controversies
divide, collaboration unites.

re: so you haven't found yourself a "guru"... here's why...
You aren't looking for a "guru".  If you were, you'd have already found
one.  You are looking for a
mentor.  That's a much different thing even though they can be the same
person.  It would be helpful
to look for the right thing.  Anyway...

We have a lot of very accomplished folks here. Are they gurus?  Who's to
say but I'll bet you'll get
your honest questions answered if you ask and respond properly.

re: is the SI-LIST for you?  maybe/maybe not
If you're up to the challenge of communicating well and really want to
pitch in on what we're trying to
do here, then I'm sure things will go much better than they have.
However, if not, you might be better
served looking for a "debate forum" where you can exercise that
"controversial" part of yourself more
productively. Its even possible you might even do both.  The decision is
up to you.

Michael E. Vrbanac

Chris Cheng wrote:

>I'm just an average engineer, no expert, guru or obe won. I couldn't care
>less if you are a monkey or chimpanzee. But at least tell me what company or
>where you come from. People should be proud of themselves whether they come
>from Bannana Republic or People's Republic.
>Don't be a girly man, don't hide in a hotmail or yahoo account and afraid to
>tell people your background. Expert or novice we all come here to learn and
>share. So tell me something about your background in this area and who do
>you work for ?

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org