[SI-LIST] Re: Proper use of the Si-List

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si_monkey2@xxxxxxxxx>, <MikonCons@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:07:04 -0700

I sense a lot of frustration here.  On Sitar's side because he is not
getting the answers he wants.  On SI List respondents' side because of
perception.

Regis McKenna once wrote "perception is all there is".  The general meaning
of this is that people will form impressions, right or wrong, about a
product (Regis' context) by what they can see about that product.

The other saying that seems to apply here is "you only have one chance to
make a first impression".  Whether it is a new product or meeting a person
for the first time, this applies.

Sitar, you have a screen name that comes across as un-professional.
Advertising yourself as a monkey does not place your best foot forward, your
first impression is not favorable.  People won't take you seriously.

People will try to understand who is asking the question before answering.
I know that many times before I'll answer a question on this list I'll look
up the company or institution that the questioner is associated with.
Sometimes it gives me insight into where the answer needs to go.  College
students get one answer, a long time SI expert gets a different answer.  For
a number of reasons yahoo accounts have a poor perception, to many of the
questions lately that could have been answered with a little research have
come from yahoo addresses.

People tend to do things colored by what they perceive as their best
interests.  Most engineers don't want to educate their or their companies'
competitors.  Not knowing who they are talking to leads many to not want to
educate a potential competitor.

Which leads to perception is colored by people who also have not placed
their best foot forward.  Call it guilt by association. A lot of the
questions by these people are really very basic.   One question that comes
to mind recently was from a consulting firm that is making an IBIS model for
someone else (I assume) and has not read the IBIS specification.  The
question in this case was not rocket science, it is knowledge that I expect
a technician working for me to be able to look up and understand.

I can understand the frustration of people who see qualified friends without
jobs while others cannot do the job they were hired to do.  Unfortunately
the electronics industry seems to have gotten into a management mode of
engineers are interchangeable, you can assign any "engineering job" to
anybody with an "engineering degree".  I think there may have been a time
that applied but it was not in my lifetime.  SI is the realm of analog
effects but too many people without an appreciation for anything analog have
been assigned to do jobs in this area.  That is a fault of our institutions
of higher education and the MBA mindset.  Digital was all that was taught
for years.  Students come out of school who have touched a couple of digital
CAD tools and they think they are ready to tackle all problems.  Somewhere
down the line they get bit by a transmission line or a PDS.  The good ones
get curious and learn about them.  Too many find a quick band aide.  Don't
get me started on MBAs.

I have not followed this thread in detail, I used the Delete button quickly
in most cases.  I have looked at responses from people I know and respect
who contribute to this list.  I do learn a lot from them.

Many of the responses on this list are telling the questioner to learn to
fish.  Buy the tools you are going to use (I'm amazed I had to say that),
learn how to use them, learn everything you can about analog effects and
most importantly, learn to apply what you have learned.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
503-430-1065
tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx