[SI-LIST] Re: Propagation delay on embedded microstrip

  • From: "giancarlo guida" <gguida@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bipindhavale@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:02:02 +0200

Hi Bipin,
I would not use stripline as a way to calculate the delay
I would be afraid to over estimate it.
( you actually ahve an embedded microstrip)

In your case what plays a role is the fact that you have a dielectric on the
top
of the S1.
The dielectric will change the field distribution or if you like the
effective dielectric
costant and so also the other trasmission line parametrs will be affected.

Top layer will not play a very significant role
unless you do not have a copper area on the top of your signal on S1

To make some simulation
you may want go on Ansoft web site
and download Maxwell SV that is free
It allow  you to make 2D analysis that should be enough to reply to your
question

Hope this help
Giancarlo