[SI-LIST] Re: Problems with system bus design

  • From: "Istvan NOVAK" <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pomgud@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 11:08:57 -0500

The formula you quote to calculate the output
resistance will give the the guaranteed value
at 2.4V output voltage in the high state. With
only this value, your concern appears to be
substantiated, because this does not provide
the rise time you need.  Most outputs, however,
are nonlinear: if you pull them further away from
the steady state, the current goes up more than
what you could predict the the steady-state
calculation.  The highest available current is
usually at least two to three times higher than
the steady state guaranteed current.

If you need proof/disproof whether your output
can deliver the required transition time with
the heaviest load, the surest way would be
to get trusted simulation models for the output
(IBIS or SPICE) and simulate the waveform.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems