[SI-LIST] Re: Power supply board

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lakshmi Narayanan Sowrirajan, ERS-HCLTech" <lakshminarayanans@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:58:50 -0400

Hi Lakshmi,

The connecting inductance is good and bad at the same time.  Yes, the module
pins are inductive, but when you look at the overall electrical
performance, it
is usually not a dominant limiting factor: on typical off-the-shelf
modules the
control loop bandwidth will create about the same or even more inductance
in the module's output impedance.  This usually happens much below 1MHz.

If we now turn to high frequencies, connecting pins are mostly just
beneficial:
the inductive reactance of the pins will help to filter out the
high-frequency
burst noise that appears on the switching edges.

There are many other factors that need to be considered when you decide
whether
converters will be embedded or not. Overall cost, time to market,
footprint size,
height, portability of designs are some of the key considerations.

In addition to the book Steve pointed out, you can find some of these
considerations
and concerns summarized briefly in the paper: "Emerging Challenges of DC-DC
Converters" DesignCon2007, Santa Clara, CA,  January 29-31, 2007.  You can
download it from http://www.electrical-integrity.com/

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle-Sun

Lakshmi Narayanan Sowrirajan, ERS-HCLTech wrote:
> Hi Power supply Gurus,
>                 We are having a image processing card which requires 1V, 25A.
> Is it good to have this on the board or we can go for a custom module
> plug-in. When I suggested custom module plug in I got some comments like the
> connecting inductance will make performance issues. Please suggest me how
> this can be taken care if the inductance is going to be a problem.
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Lakshminarayanan.S

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net