[SI-LIST] Re: Power planes

  • From: jeff_latourrette@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:43:23 -0600

Hi Karan, Ray:

I think comments below referenced to Geoff were from my posting of 7/18.  As
Ray points out velocity in microstrip is only dependent on effective dielectric
constant and given you scale line for same impedance when changing the
dielectric thickness, velocity shouldn't change.  So this effect is moot if you
are maintaining line impedance.  Epsilon effective will be slightly larger (&
velocity slightly slower) for low impedance lines, than for high imedance lines.

According to equation previously referenced, Epsilon effective is slightly
dependent on W/h and even less on t/h-in many stack-ups, we can often ignore
thickness.  Although this is equation-based and probably limited in accuracy to
reasonable values of W/h & t/h intuitively, one should be able to imagine the
difference in field distribution between a narrow, high-Z line and that of a
wide low-Z line.  Ray also correctly points out that stripline's velocity is
solely dependent on material dielectric constant and W/h, t/h doesn't matter
because all fields are contained in the dielectric.

OK-so how bad is this effect for microstrip??  I dug and found a very old
design guideline, plotting Epsilon effective vs W/h.

For Alumina (thin-film), it varies from 5.9 (W/h=0.1, Z=130 ohms) to 6.5
(W/h=1.0, Z=50 ohms) to 7.4 (W/h=3.0, Z=26 ohms)

The only reference on the page is "Report No. 03-68-85", probably funded by
(D)ARPA.

Hope this can help,

Jeff LaT.