[SI-LIST] Re: Power integrity / Transient current in Target impedance

  • From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <saeedbakhshi@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 08:53:19 -0700

Saeed,
For the transient current I use I = C dV/dt = C (Vcc/trise).  C is the
receiver input capacitance on chip B x the number of drivers used for that
receiver type on chip A.  Then Ztarget = (Vcc * 0.05)/I (for a 5%
regulation).  You can do this for slow/typical/fast if required.  Keeping
the target impedance to "several harmonics of the clock frequency" is, in my
opinion, impractical from a cost perspective (you would have a gazillion 100
pF caps on the board), and unnecessary from an SI perspective (interplane
capacitance).  If the noise regulation for a particular chip is unspecified,
I default to 5% on an original design, and then get some lab data to see if
I can go to 10%.  In general, just make Zo vs Frequency hit between 5% - 10%
regulation up to the frequency of operation and it will work fine. I usually
go a few percent over fops, but not multiples of fops.
Ken