[SI-LIST] Re: Power dissipation low or high

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "N. Paul Taddonio" <paul.taddonio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 01:24:13 -0600

Paul,

You have pretty well nailed it. The power specs in the IC data sheet are
*package* specifications. The clue in the case of Fairchild is the fact
that there are two, package-dependent, power specs for the device, as a
function of package. Fairchild ap note AN-1100 discusses thermal
management. ST specs it explicitly as a package limit.

As to the device dissipation, the quiescent power is about nil, and the
output transistor dissipation is at most a few milliwatts (Vol * Iol,
for instance), and there are only 4 outputs. As to the "power switching
capacitance" (F*C*V^2) dissipation, Geetha will have to analyze that for
his external loads. Internally, FCV^2 at 10 MHz and 5 volts should be
nearly negligible (compared to 200 mW package specs) since there are
only 4 SSI gates in the package.

Finally, not all package thermal specs are created equally. They are
dependent on board topology (how much copper is there in the board to
conduct heat away, for instance), die size, and air flow. You can't know
whether the two package power specs are equivalent without doing a whole
lot of work, but both appear to be well above the device dissipation,
unless it is switching fast, or is heavily loaded.

All else being equal, I would not hesitate to consider the two parts
equivalent unless the application is really pushing the envelope with
respect to power dissipation. But you have to analyze it to know.

Regards

Mike

- - - - -

List technical documents are available at: