[SI-LIST] Re: Power dissipation low or high

  • From: Andrew Ingraham <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 08:30:25 -0500

> ST Micro tech support team explained me that Fairchild
> parts are better in this segment than ST Micro parts from
> the power dissipation perspective.

If I were you, I would ask the ST Micro tech support team to explain
exactly what they mean by that, and don't give up until they have
given you a satisfactory answer that eliminates your confusion.

It sounds possible that the tech support person didn't understand the
spec, and was just thinking "bigger must be better".

It also sounds like they may know the answer to whether their parts
are a suitable substitute for Fairchild's.

While it is true that being able to dissipate more power without
self-destructing is better (and to some degree the package plays into
that), there is also the question whether that spec (as a maximum
rating) is also affected by the normal power dissipation of the IC.

Regards,
Andy

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net