[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity (was: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator)

  • From: Chris Cheng <chris.cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:33:09 -0700

Larry,
I highly doubt providing a ground reference plane for signal return is
expensive. If the signals are in stripline configuration, all you need is a
single ground reference plane, the other side can be a different vdd plane
and the plane capacitance between the vdd/gnd will provide the return path
for the vdd side return current (provided ground via is presence whenever
the signal switch layer). Name me a single industrial high speed bus
(processors FSB, FCAL, Gb Ethernet etc) nowadays that doesn't mentioned the
requirement of proper reference plane in PCB and ground return via drill
when signal switch layer in their reference design. Name me one design in
your company that doesn't require correct high speed signal reference plane.
Finally name me one design that you have done that you intentionally
reference high speed microstrip traces with a difference VDD plane and you
end up using thin cores power planes and high speed caps on PCB to fix the
problem. Talk is cheap, put your money where your mouth is. Besides, I doubt
a thin core power/gnd plane pair will be a more cost effective way than
adding an extra layer to bury the microstrip signals that cannot be properly
referenced.

The on die I/O decoupling cap will provide the return current for io power
that is returned through the ground reference.

Unless you say high speed signal can only be run as microstrip that cannot
be reference to ground or you think striplines should not be at least
referenced to ground plane in one side, what you are saying is not valid.