[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity measurement equipment

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: heinrich.smith2005@xxxxxxxxx,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 23:53:50 -0700

Heinrich, 500MHz is a little bit on the low side=20
for modern power distribution systems.  That will=20
just get you into the range where many power=20
systems transition from bypass caps to the PCB,=20
and a lot of interesting things start=20
happening.  If you are interested in what the PDS=20
will do in the presence of today's fast RAM and=20
ASIC I/Os, I recommend that you get an instrument=20
with a wider bandwidth, at least 6GHz.

Fixture design is still an evolving art.  What we=20
would like is S11 measurements.  The trick is=20
getting S11 calibration through the interconnect=20
down to the place we really want to measure.  The=20
compromise answer is to device S21 tests, some=20
better than others.  Read Istvan's papers on the=20
subject as they talk about many of the challenges=20
involved.  Additionally, Istvan offers some=20
excellant insights on fixtures for VRMs and is=20
leading a 2007 DesignCon session on=20
them.  Personally, I am partial to FDM for the=20
bypass network and VRM small signal response, and=20
TDM as a matter of practicality for obtaining VRM large signal response.

Steve

At 08:15 AM 4/6/2006, Heinrich.Smith wrote:
>Thanks to each guru's guidance.I got so much valuable information for me
>solving pi relative problems.
>Ultimetrix P4800 has good spec. but few technical application note on the
>web.
>I  intend to purchase Agilent 4395A(10 Hz~500MHz).
>10 Hz is capable for VRM or Bulk capacitor impedance measurement.
>500MHz is enough for evaluating the decap solution on the PCB.
>by the way,
>APE cal. mode could calibrate the probe to its tip.
>Does my comprehension make sense?
>If i lose anything,feel free to supplement it with your comment.
>After i reading some articles,i found Low frequency VRM impedance
>measurement seems more complicated.
>One is "Microprocessor Platform Impedance Characterization using VTT Tools"
>proposed by Intel.
>The other is proposed by SUN,Istvan Novak."Frequency-Domain
>Power-Distribution Measurements =A1V An Overview"
>I know the basic difference which one is to acquire time domain data and
>then translate them into frequency domain,the other
>(Istvan Novak's paper) provide a direct frequency domain mesurement by VNA.
>
>I think these are two different approach but the same result.
>
>Regards,
>
>Heinrich.Smith
>

>2006/3/30, Jim Antonellis <janton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > Hi Istvan,
> >
> > Thanks for the clear insight to yet another pi mechanism that I for
> > one had not considered. At the package level we have run resonance
> > analysis, but NOT on the larger system PCBs, where the dimensions
> > and stackups are ripe for many potential resonances.
> >
> > Regards,
> > jim
> >

> > -
> > Jim Antonellis   janton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Broadcom Corp    www.broadcom.com
> > Office: 978.689.1669
> > Cell: 978.618.4745
> >
> > This message and any attachments are Confidential and may be Legally
> > Privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
> > the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system
> > and notify us immediately. Any dis-closure, copying, distribution or
> > action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in
> > reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.

 However,
> [...]
> >
> > Regards,
> > istvan
> >

> > Jim Antonellis wrote:
> >
> > >Hello Heinrich,
> > >
> > >I'm walking into the land of giants (the many pi experts who
> > >have and continue to provide us all with great pi information)
> > >but hopefully I have something to add... albeit at an apprentice
> > >level.
> > >
> > >Yes, the IO buffers typically have their own power rail, Vddio,
> > >seperate from the core power, Vddcore, but please keep in mind
> > >that the return path, Vss, may be common at some level (package
> > >and/or die)... I digress...
> > >
> > >I like to view the pi design as a multi-level problem with a
> > >strict analysis order: die, pkg, pcb. My reasoning is this:
> > >the input to stage (h+1(s)) is the output of the previous stage
> > >(h(s)), or more simply, the "current profile" (di/dt) that the
> > >pkg see from the die is certainly different than what the PCB
> > >sees from the pkg. Hold on... I'm going somewhere with this
> > >painfully obvious observation...
> > >
> > >Regardless of the root current source, core or IO buffer, the
> > >die will have RLC effects that modify (H(s)) the source thereby
> > >presenting a different current profile to the pkg. And, just
> > >the same, the current profile that goes through the package
> > >network will again modify such that the PCB will see another
> > >yet different, lower frequency content profile... almost there...
> > >
> > >In the end, at the PCB, you will find that the package presents
> > >a limiting inductance such that no matter what you do on the PCB,
> > >you will never be able to satisfy a di/dt profile with components
> > >above a certain package derived frequency. Of course the response
> > >of any network is not so simple, but you may consider the pkg as
> > >a LPF that limits the higher frequency components of the current
> > >profile. Any PCB decoupling efforts above this frequency are
> > >truely wasted (in regards to the task at hand).
> > >
> > >My pi strategy *ideally* has a different BW assigned to the
> > >on-die decoupling, the package decoupling and the PCB decoupling,
> > >the latter of which has lower frequency influenced by the VRM.
> > >
> > >In closing, consider what Istvan pointed out when he talked about
> > >the horizontal inductance derived impedance, a temporal element
> > >derived from a spatial mechanism, which screams: beware, lumped
> > >vs distributed analysis!
> > >
> > >Jim
> > >
> > >-
> > >Jim Antonellis   janton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >Broadcom Corp    www.broadcom.com
> > >Office: 978.689.1669
> > >Cell: 978.618.4745
> > >
> > >This message and any attachments are Confidential and may be Legally
> > >Privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
> > >the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system
> > >and notify us immediately. Any dis-closure, copying, distribution or
> > >action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in
> > >reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.

 For
> > number

> > low
> > versa.