[SI-LIST] Re: Power Integrity measurement equipment

  • From: Heinrich.Smith <heinrich.smith2005@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 23:15:23 +0800

Thanks to each guru's guidance.I got so much valuable information for me
solving pi relative problems.
Ultimetrix P4800 has good spec. but few technical application note on the
web.
I  intend to purchase Agilent 4395A(10 Hz~500MHz).
10 Hz is capable for VRM or Bulk capacitor impedance measurement.
500MHz is enough for evaluating the decap solution on the PCB.
by the way,
APE cal. mode could calibrate the probe to its tip.
Does my comprehension make sense?
If i lose anything,feel free to supplement it with your comment.
After i reading some articles,i found Low frequency VRM impedance
measurement seems more complicated.
One is "Microprocessor Platform Impedance Characterization using VTT Tools"
proposed by Intel.
The other is proposed by SUN,Istvan Novak."Frequency-Domain
Power-Distribution Measurements ¡V An Overview"
I know the basic difference which one is to acquire time domain data and
then translate them into frequency domain,the other
(Istvan Novak's paper) provide a direct frequency domain mesurement by VNA.

I think these are two different approach but the same result.

Regards,

Heinrich.Smith

2006/3/30, Jim Antonellis <janton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Istvan,
>
> Thanks for the clear insight to yet another pi mechanism that I for
> one had not considered. At the package level we have run resonance
> analysis, but NOT on the larger system PCBs, where the dimensions
> and stackups are ripe for many potential resonances.
>
> Regards,
> jim
>

> -
> Jim Antonellis   janton@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Broadcom Corp    www.broadcom.com
> Office: 978.689.1669
> Cell: 978.618.4745
>
> This message and any attachments are Confidential and may be Legally
> Privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not
> the intended recipient, please delete this message from your system
> and notify us immediately. Any dis-closure, copying, distribution or
> action taken or omitted to be taken by an unintended recipient in
> reliance on this message is prohibited and may be unlawful.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: