[SI-LIST] Re: Potting/encapsulation/conformal coating and SI

  • From: "George Tang" <gtang@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ray Anderson" <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:33:54 -0700

Yes, you are right.  Potting provides better mechanical support for the
components.  However, during shake-&-bake tests, we had discovered that some
components pop-off the board in an area where the conformal coating was not
applied.  After properly applying the coating, the parts did not come loose
in the additional shake-bake tests.  For most commercial applications,
conformal coating may be enough mechanical support for PCBs.  In most cases,
it is also not practical to pot a large area on a PCB, and it also comes
with the large weight penalty.

Regards,

George

George Tang