[SI-LIST] Re: Post Layout Signal Integrity Analysis

  • From: "McKinley, Jory D" <jory.d.mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'scubasnail@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <scubasnail@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"SI_LIST (E-mail)" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:46:23 -0700

Hello Gil,
You can use Hspice on your post layout board but I would not recommend it
for more than a few critical nets.  The effort involves running stand alone
2.5D or 3D field solvers on the extracted Allegro database for the desired
nets and using the output as input into the extracted spice decks.  You will
also have to include the potential off diagonal elements of the RLGC matrix
to look at crosstalk.
If you access to an SI simulation tool (built in 2.5D, extractor, and
simulator) such as XTK or Specra-Quest they both do a very good job with
complete post layout data from Allegro given the models are correlated.
Model correlation should be straight forward since you have the Hspice
models. Simulation times vary depending on the number of nets, the detail of
crosstalk analysis and the density of the route but for a board with 2500
nets and no crosstalk XTK runs are about 30 minutes.  Nearest neighbor
crosstalk pushes the simulation time in the 3-6 hour range.

Good Luck,
-Jory McKinley