[SI-LIST] Re: Post Designcon thread

  • From: Larry SMITH <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 13:30:06 -0800

Steve - I also enjoyed DesignCon very much, especially the opportunity
to associate faces with names and renew old acquaintances.  Thanks for
your comments below and yes, I believe you have accurately summarized
the major points concerning two different PDS methodologies: the big V
and flat impedance profile.  Please allow me to further comment.

We are basically talking about the 300kH to 100MHz band of frequency
where ceramic capacitors are most important.  One approach is to select
different values of capacitors with known ESR and combine them in
parallel to achieve a relatively flat impedance profile (resistive).
The number of capacitor values required depends on the ESR of the
capacitor and total ESL including mounting inductance.  Up to a dozen
different capacitor part numbers may be required in this approach.  The
big V method involves just one capacitor value and gives you a very deep
"V" in impedance with the minimum being far below the target impedance.
 It is more convenient for manufacturing because fewer component part
numbers are required in assembly.  The capacitor quantity is chosen to
make the PDS impedance below target impedance in the specified frequency
range.

I am a proponent of the flat impedance method for several reasons, the
most important is system damping.  The flat impedance method absorbs
energy across a broad frequency range and turns it into heat.  The big V
method has damping over a relatively small frequency range where it is
resistive.  Capacitors in the capacitive or inductive regions do not
absorb energy but store it and then return it with a different phase.
This becomes important at both the high and low extremes of the ceramic
frequency range.  At the low end, the VRM output impedance is similar to
 an inductor.  If a purely inductive slope crosses a purely capacitive
slope (VRM to big_V interface), a huge antiresonant peak will occur.
Similarly at high frequency, the pure capacitance of the power planes
crosses the pure inductance of the big V capacitors and forms a large
antiresonant peak.  Both of these peaks are minimized using the flat
impedance method.  The best way to manage the high frequency peak is by
maximizing your plane capacitance (thin dielectric and planes in
parallel) and extending the ceramic capacitor frequency by low mounting
inductance and small values.

For systems with relatively high target impedance (ie 20 mOhms) you can
eliminate many of the capacitor values in the flat impedance method and
the two methods begin to merge.  There will be antiresonant peaks
between resonant dips but they can be kept below 20 mOhms. Tantalum bulk
capacitors with relatively high ESR can be used at the VRM to ceramic
interface to sit on top of the lower antiresonance.  The upper
antiresonance may or may not hurt you depending on whether your circuits
 are sensitive to it and the EMI properties of your system.  Many viable
systems have been built using the big V method and it is hard to argue
with success.

In my experience, a well damped system is safer and more robust.  You
can make changes to the stackup, change the clock frequencies and add
capacitors that target specific EMI frequencies without getting into too
much trouble.  The big V method is a little more vulnerable to these
changes.  I have always found that you can build a PDS with fewer
capacitors, less component cost and less board space by using the flat
impedance method, but you will have more part number complexity in
manufacturing and you need some CAD simulation to help you pick the
capacitors. I like the flat impedance method because it is more robust
and better optimized, particularly as we drive below 1 mOhm.

Thanks to all who participated in the stimulating discussions at
DesignCon and those who continue to contribute to SI-list.

regards,
Larry Smith
Sun Microsystems

List FAQ wiki page is located at: