[SI-LIST] Re: Post Designcon thread

  • From: Istvan Novak <Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:13:13 -0500

Larry,

As Zhiping suggests, we could make even more tracks next year dedicated
to power delivery, if there is sufficient interest.

I am not sure if the industry is ready to openly discuss silicon-design
details, such as power grids and on-die capacitance optimization.  If
people on the list feel otherwise, please let me know.  So at first pass
I would exclude silicon.  Package capacitors could be included, though
some people may consider the silicon interface of the package
confidential.

VRMs could be addressed, but in itself it is such a diverse topic that
it may warrant a separate discussion.  I started to measure the
small-signal output impedance profiles of DC-DC converters seven years
ago, and unfortunately I see a steady decline in this regards: many new
converters dont seem to have well-designed control loops any more.

Regards,
Istvan

Larry Smith wrote:
> Istvan - Yes, this seems like a good idea.
>
> It seems that the major thrusts are: deep V, controled ESR caps, flat
> impedance vs freq.  Possibly there are others.
>
> Would we restrict this to the capacitor range of frequencies or open
> it up to "DC to daylight?"  If so, we would have to deal with on-chip
> and on-package capacitance and VRM performance.
>
> There also is a distinction between cost performance consumer products
> and big iron servers.
>
> regards,
> Larry
>
> Istvan Novak wrote:
>
>>Steve, Larry,
>>
>>The power distribution topic has been steadily growing at DesignCon.
>>Ten years
>>ago it was mentioned mostly in keynote speeches as a possible future
>>problem.
>>Today, we usually have two tracks and TecForums and panels dedicated to the
>>subject.  In the past years several aspects of the power distribution
>>topic have
>>appeared: low-power silicon design, component and PCB characteristics,
>>measurement approaches and simulation  results of various pieces of PDNs.
>>Very little or none appeared so far on overall PDN methodologies; probably
>>because this is a very wide-ranging and diverse topic itself, which may not
>>easily fit into a 30-minute presentation.  With a few basic approaches
>>firming
>>up in the industry, it may be time to discuss these possibilities in
>>more detail at
>>DesignCon.  If you are interested, next year we could devote a half-day
>>TecForum just to discuss power-distribution methodologies.  Let me know if
>>you are interested to participate/contribute.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>Istvan
>>
>>Steve Weir wrote:
>>

>>>Jim, I had a blast at DesignCon, and want to thank everyone who attended my
>>>paper.
>>>
>>>Larry and company's work on the subject of power delivery has led the way
>>>for many of us.  Introduction by SUN of the F^N method really got a lot of
>>>people thinking about this issue.
>>>
>>>There are trade-offs to both methods, and Larry correctly pointed-out what
>>>is one of the greatest strengths of the F^N method that he advocates,
>>>against what may be considered the single greatest weakness of the big "V"
>>>( single value capacitor ) that I advocate.  I think it would be great to
>>>air-out what both of these methods do and do not do, and then the informed
>>>reader can use either method properly.
>>>
>>>Basically, what is at issue is the anti-resonance that occurs between the
>>>apparent plane lumped capacitance and the discrete capacitor array in the
>>>common case of boards that are not huge with high Er power dielectric.  The
>>>advantage that Larry sees to the F^N networks is that is loads the bypass
>>>network with capacitors in the smallest values.  Capacitor ESR depends on
> [...]

Istvan Novak            Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Istvan.Novak@xxxxxxx    Workgroup Servers, BDT Group,
                        One Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
                        Phone: (781) 442 0340

List FAQ wiki page is located at: