[SI-LIST] Placement of decoupling capacitors

  • From: Khalid Ansari <khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:18:51 -0700

I looked through various emails from Larry Miller, Larry Smith and the rest
who had contributed to a discussion earlier on decoupling.  Those
emails helped me select the values for decoupling caps but now the
challenge is, how do I place these?  I don't have enough room on each of my
power supply pins to place these caps around.  If I try to place the
cap that decouples the highest frequency components out of the selected
ones close to the power pin and the one that decouples the lowest frequency
components the farthest, the caps are being placed too far away from the pin.
Can I piggy back these caps?  What are some of the tricks to overcome this
problem?

Thanks in advance,

Khalid