[SI-LIST] Re: Phase/Frequency Detector!

  • From: "Michael Poimboeuf" <Michael_Poimboeuf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <DLieby@xxxxxxxxxx>, <levinpa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,"SI-List Reflector" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:04:40 -0700

In low bandwidth (slow - low jitter) PLLs where I use=20
a PFD I also use acquisition circuits of appropriate=20
complexity to detect input reference signals that are=20
out of lock range and then auto-center "park" the PLL=20
at a "stand-alone" reference frequency when the input=20
reference is out of lock range.

The most common out of lock range issue is what
David refers to below: no signal present. Other
out of lock examples are PAL references into NTSC
genlock circuits, or many combinations of digital
television ATSC/HD genlock references with the 36
possible ATSC standards.

I wrote a paper with some examples of an PLL architeture
used for ATSC/HD and digital cinema genlock published in
the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers=20
(SMPTE) Journal of April 2001. It's not online, but you=20
can find it at the library.

---
mkp=20