[SI-LIST] Re: Pcie PLL bandwidth

  • From: Nathan JP <jpnathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "balaseven@xxxxxxxxx" <balaseven@xxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 02:32:46 +0530

Hi Bala,
PLL follows Low frequency Jitter and cancels High freq Jitter. The Jitter in
the data signal may be too fast to allow the PCIe PLL to follow it, hence the
eye looks better.
Constant clock based measurement gives better indication of the jitter issues
and hence the bad eye.

This could also indicate possible issue in PCIe Ref Clock source for the CPU
(internal PLL/external clock Buffer) or its related power noise.

Is there any difference in the PCIe Ref Clk configuration (like SSC, common
clk/local clk) between these devices (CPU & ASIC/FPGA)?
How are the Ref clocks distributed between each of these PCIe devices?

Regards,
Nathan JP