[SI-LIST] Re: Paper on BGA crosstalk and power system (Altera Responds)

  • From: Don Nelson <dhwn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: SI List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:50:53 -0500

Thank you for your reply, Steve.
One of the reasons that this debate between Xilinx and Altera is
relevant to me is that our team is currently deciding between the
Virtex-4 and the Stratix II for our next product.  Another group at my
company used the Stratix I series and experienced excessive--and
crippling, in their application--SSO noise.  They were able to improve
matters *tremendously* by taking several unused outputs and internally
driving them high or low, then tying them to the board ground or
respective power plane.

I have been trying to figure out how (if at all) this fits in with the
measurements made by Howard Johnson and Mark Alexander.  It seems to me
that if tying the stuck-high/low outputs to power/ground made a
measurable difference in SSN, the power/ground bounce they were
observing must have been due to PDN impedance in the die, rather than
inductive crosstalk, since these newly purposed i/o would not attach to
the package power and ground planes.  Their efforts may have reduced
the impedance of the PDN, but would not have a significant effect on
the inductive coupling between the signal I/Os in the package as
demonstrated by Howard and Mark.  Indeed, I doubt that sticking a
driven-and-tied-low ball in the middle of a 'return void' in the
Stratix II ball grid would have resulted in much of a change for
Howard's and Mark's results if they were observing package inductive
coupling effects (would it?)--Howard Johnson said that he determined
the on-chip decoupling to be nearly ideal in both devices.  Would not
the circuitous return path through a stuck-hi/low I/O be of little help
in alleviating inductive coupling of signal I/O?

Based on all of these assumptions, my thought is that if Altera managed
to improve the on-die decoupling for their Stratix II, the SSN effect
seen by our other team with the Stratix I may have been addressed in
Stratix II, and that adding extra driven-and-tied-low I/Os wouldn't
help any potential SSN problems with Stratix II.

Does my reasoning seem even the slightest bit reasonable?

Thanks,
-don

P.S.  Your and Scott McMorrow's DesignCon 2005 papers on the Teraspeed
web site have been very helpful in designing our board-level PDN.  It
was a great piece of work!
--
Don Nelson
The [United States] Constitution only gives you the right to pursue

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: