[SI-LIST] Re: Paper on BGA crosstalk and power system

  • From: "Wei Zhou" <wzhou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:32:55 -0800

Mark,

Nice work.

As stated in your paper under Fig 20 "both packaging and signal rise time"
contribute to the difference seen in the measurement.

It would be interesting to see what the difference would be with the same
rise time from the two device. And that answers the question whether the
signal rise time or package ground ball distribution is really the
deterministic factor here. (or both? 50-50 or 30-70?) Since both device have
programmable edge rate, I would assume it is possible to find settings on
the two device that will result in the same signal rise time.

regards,

Wei

Hey all,
>Some of you may have already attended this, but I wanted to draw your
>attention to a WebCast seminar and accompanying paper that was released
>yesterday.  The topic is a joint study by Xilinx and SigCon (Howard
>Johnson) of crosstalk and power system noise in FPGA systems.
>
>The paper:
>http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex4/pdfs/BGA_Crosstalk.pdf
>
>The archived WebCast (might not be available until tomorrow):
>http://www.xilinx.com/events/webcasts/tol/01feb05.htm#3
>
>The WebCast is a full hour with Q&A at the end; the paper /seems /long
>but is actually pretty easy to read.  I especially like Howard's
>explanation of the crosstalk model of power system noise and why it's
>appropriate to the large BGA scenario.
>
>I'd be very interested to hear feedback from people on the list --
>factors we didn't consider, overall usefulness of the information
>presented, ideas for future studies on the same measurement platform.
>
>Thanks!
>mark

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: