[SI-LIST] Re: PWj in PCIe Base Spec

  • From: Iliya Zamek <i_zamek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx" <ah.vinod@xxxxxxxxx>, SI-LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:20:35 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Vinod,
There is a relationship between PWj and Tj. PWj spectrum Sp(f) is Tj spectrum
St(f) multiplied by sin function in power 2:
Sp(f)= St(f) x [2Sin(pi W f)]^2, where W is a pulse width.
The relationships between different Jitter Terms were introduced in 2003 at
IEEE Frequency Control Symposium. You might want to see these relationships in
next publications:
I. Zamek, et. al, “Crystal oscillators` Jitter Measurements and its
estimation of phase noise”,
I. Zamek, et. al, “ DEFINITIONS OF JITTER MEASUREMENT TERMS AND
RELATIONSHIPS,IEEE International Test Conference, 2005
I. Zamek, “Jitter Spectral Theory”, DesignCon, 2006

In spite PWj might be calculated, at practice the amplitude noise always
contributes to the Jitter measurements and whole picture become more complex
becouse noise impacts various Jitter Terms differently. For example, noise
impact on PWj is significantly stronger compared to its impact on Tj
measurements. That is why it has sense to measure PWj, as soon as it is in the
specification.
Regards,
Iliya