[SI-LIST] Re: PRBS Pattern Vs BER

  • From: shankar san <shankar.electronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carrier, Patrick" <Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:15:46 +0530

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for the valuable inputs.

I have few more doubts as, i am using Hyperlynx 8.2.1, as you suggested i
can only select PRBS pattern or the 8B/10B pattern in the Hyperlynx.

So could you clarify me that, do i have to simulate the net only with
8B/10B or how should i include the 8B/10B coding in the simulation?

Thank You,
S Shankar

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Carrier, Patrick <
Patrick_Carrier@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi S Shankar--
> If you want to predict an accurate BER at these levels it is recommended
> that you simulate using the worst-case bit stream specific to a channel.
>  That bit sequence will vary based on the characteristics of the channel,
> and of course should include the appropriate encoding (like 8b10b).
>
> If you are interested in learning more, check out the following IBIS
> Summit presentation from Arpad Muranyi and Vladimir Dmitriev-Zdorov from
> Mentor Graphics:
> http://www.eda.org/ibis/summits/jun10/muranyi2.pdf
>
> --Pat

S Shankar