[SI-LIST] Re: PLL Loop filter

  • From: Bill Wurst <billw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 22:16:41 -0400

Steve, Ray,
Certainly if the dielectric is piezo-electric, such as ceramic, that
could be the source of the problem.  A problem could also occur if the
plate separation is changing with time, regardless of the dielectric
material.  One way to analyze such a time-varying capacitor is to start
with the charge on the loop filter capacitor, i.e., q = CV.  To find the
current in the circuit, one takes the time derivative of each side of
the equation.  Normally, the capacitance is considered time invariant
and we write i = C*dV/dt.  However, if C is not constant, in this case
due to mechanical vibration, then the current must be expressed as the
sum of the partial derivatives.  Makes for an interesting analysis.  Way
back in the early days of electronic ignition, I designed a capacitive
pickup to take advantage of this phenomena.  It worked to a degree but
harmonic suppression proved difficult as I recall.  So proper material
selection as well as mechanical damping may be required.
    -Bill

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org