[SI-LIST] PLD programming data

  • From: Dimiter Popoff <dp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:38:47 +0200

Hi everyone,

this is not really a SI question, but I believe there are people
on this list who might know the answer.

 Several years ago I chose the Coolrunner PLD. It was Philips owned
then, and I got most of the programming info from them. A key part
was missing so I had to do some programming/reverse engineering miracles
to get to it, but it took me a week or two and I was fine.
 Before I knew Xilinx had bought the Coolrunner and, after they changed
it, I needed new programming data. Contacting the support
of Xilinx (a while back) was a waste of time, I was told that I had
to first make a revenue of > about $ 20 millions/quarter then they might
consider giving me the programming data. I am not sure (actually I doubt
it) this is the official company line, especially since there seem to
be free tools available anyway; my problem is that I don't want to
buy a PC they want to sell me with the free tools and they have
no version to run on my systems.
 If someone would know of a way how I could get some programming data
for the currently manufactured Coolrunners - or would know of an
equally powerful and low-power replacement which would have the
data available, NDA or not, please advise.

Thanks,

Dimiter

P.S. I do not intend to market my programming software, it is strictly
for internal use - if that would be a consideration at some point.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: